02 March 2016

seedlings and paper pots

I did something new today. I made seedling pots out of folded paper. Followed the video fellow book-blogger and gardener Stefanie posted on her blog. I thought it looked a bit complicated but after folding just one pot it was easy to do the rest without referring back to the video. The last tuck is the only tricky part, and I never could get that final fold down which makes the bottom want to lie flat, so just worked out out with my fingers. Only- we don't have much newspaper in our house. Whatever comes in as advertising in the mailbox gets shredded for the worms, laid down on tables to protect them from messy projects, or crumpled up to start fires. So I tried using a few other kinds of heavy paper- brown paper bags and manila envelopes. I like how sturdy the paper-bag pots feel, but couldn't get the dimensions right to have them come out uniform size- the first few were way too big. I liked the size/shape and tidy folds I got out of using manila envelopes, but only had a few of those.
So I potted up some of my bigger seedlings today- the broccoli, a few cilantro and parsley, a handful of lettuce. Forgot to get a pic until they were back in the coldframe house. (I've had to flip the improvised shelf- it was bowing from moisture or weight. Might have to do that regularly, and find a new solution for shelving).
Other seedlings in here will remain in their toilet roll cardpots, but I don't think I'll be planting anymore like so. While folding paper pots takes a lot more time, the shape is much better- it's a lot easier to fill. That's peas on the right and swiss chard in the back.
I also sowed more trays with seeds today, the ones that got freed up from the seedlings moving out. Chives, green onions, summer savory, dill, two kinds of basil, oregano, more marigolds and sage. A week ago I sowed another jug outside with broccoli seed, and an indoor tray with borage. Haven't sprouted yet. None of my outside jugs have sprouted yet. So I'm still starting seed inside- they come up quicker. I need to remember to save containers that have lids, though. Am getting tired of putting plastic wrap over them while waiting for germination. Easier to snap a lid on.

No comments: