06 November 2015


Since adjusting the photoperiod, things look better in both tanks. It looks greener. The crypt wendtii, which I was starting to feel concerned about, is showing its blue-green hues again (hard to get in a photo).
I moved two small aponogeton crispus closer to the front of the tank. The rest of them look good, as best as they have yet in this tank I think
this second-largest one is getting nice broad leaves.
Bottom foliage on the ludwigia plants all coated with death and algae, so I cut their heads off and replanted the tops. This quickly tripled the plant mass (the rooted stems cut to ground will grow back) so now I have about ten of them in here.
Pretty purple undersides.
I also took the tops off a few of the tallest rotala stems and replanted, removing all the central length that was turning black and dying off. There is still quite a bit of hair algae on stuff- you can see some here on top edge of the windelov fern.
The most vivid plant in here right now is vallisneria. So many new runners. I might have to start thinning them out soon.
Took two photos of the short ends of the tank, you can see how I've moved hornwort stems into a row in the back, keeping the front area of the tank clear to let the aponos have more space and grow.
As for hornwort, I've decided I like it best tethered to the stones. I thought it was a clever idea to suction-cup anchor some to the back wall, but it's troublesome to reattach when they need trimming. Much easier to do that with a stone. I noticed almost immediately that with the shorter light period the hornwort is much thinner, it doesn't grow as dense nor the needles as wide. I don't mind, I don't want it overpowering the tank anymore.
Every week now I lift the hornwort stems out and set aside while I siphon out old water off the bottom and do other tank chores. For this, have to be careful of the size of the stone anchor! Too small and they won't hold the stem down, too big and when I lift out the stem breaks and I have to reach in and fish it out. When it's time to put them back in, I break a third to half of the stem length off the bottom, drape it over the tank rim, pinch needles off the last node, and slip the rubber band on the stone over that node, which holds it down. It's getting quicker but still adds a good twenty minutes to the weekly routine. It's nice to be able to rearrange them easily though. I found the plants don't grow straight or look nice if I pinch the tops off, a side shoot never seems to take place as a leader. It works better if I lift them out and remove the bottom of the stem instead.

The water wisteria wasn't doing well in this tank for some reason, I've moved what was left into the tenner. Floating watersprite never seems to do well either, I had tons of tiny bits that just have not been growing. So this week I tossed all those and instead left pinched off hornwort stems (side shoots) as floaters.
This is the first week I cut back on nutrient dosing, to see if it's the cause of my higher nitrates. I did a low dose of dry ferts (1/8 tsp KN03, 1/4 tsp K2S04 and 1/32 tsp KH2P04). I did not dose any micros. Keeping a close eye on it.

No comments: