24 May 2015

some houseplants

I am not doing much with them... but the second african violet is about to bloom- and from the looks of the tiny buds it might just be purple. One of the spider plant offspring has gotten big enough I cut it free of the mother plant (and pegged down two more babies into soil).
Leaves have finally all dropped off the poinsettia, and it started putting out new growth before I cut it back or gave it a dry period. I just did a little trim to shape it, did not shorten much.
Parsley is a biannual plant; have been eating foliage still but it is trying very hard to put up flower shoots. I forgot to sow more seed this spring to have continual parsley at hand...
Half of the coleus starts failed on me- this fallen one has since been pulled out, also the stem to rear that is black at the base. Perhaps my potting mix was too rich?
The parent plant all died, too. But if I can keep this going year after year by just taking new cuttings for new plants, that will be enough.
Nicotiana outside have doubled in size. One growing in a planter which sat through a downpour suddenly grew huge- so I realized they like lots of water. I keep them very saturated now, they never falter and I bet this is what kept spider mites at bay, too.
I had so many more of these still growing in the jug greenhouse (now a tray as I cut the top off after frost danger past) that I took them over to B yard and planted out in a row behind the hosta.

No comments: