15 March 2015

crap

Thinking notes. There's one of three things going on in my tank- either

a) the fishes keep getting harmed by flow pulling them against filter intake. I actually saw this happen to Pinkie once, and to a zebra danio earlier, so I know it's possible

b) the fishes are squabbling enough they keep injuring each other- Pinkie could be a main culprit- but he has torn scales himself...

c) I have long-lasting dreaded disease columnaris in there- classic pattern of symptoms it starts as a pale patch on the back, turns into lesions and fungus

So. I've got the fish showing symptoms isolated. Treating with frequent small water changes, salt, lower water temp (74-76°, but the small heater in QT isn't adjustable) and will start primafix tomorrow. There's stronger meds I could order, but for now the case looks mild- although it can advance quickly- if that's what this is.

I've ordered a pre-filter sponge. If they're getting injured on intake flow, this will stop that.

I am considering putting a divider in my ten gallon tank, and moving Pinkie.

I guess it's process of elimination, to see what stops the damage. I just hope I don't loose too many fish in the meantime.

No comments: