04 October 2014

oliver in his home

I actually caught a photo of him stretching his mouth
This tank is almost boring now- I hardly touch it. Just watch the fish moving around in his leisurely curves. There are definitely two trumpet snails in there, I see them often now, they're bigger. I think the male cherry barb is bullying the female- I see him all the time, but she's constantly hiding behind the log. Feel sorry for her. Probably when I rehome the barbs these two will go as well- do better in a larger group of fish...

The algae is getting less; I have been experimenting with the light position. Since I put paper over the window side and a lamp on six hours per day (daylight spectrum bulb in a desk lamp) the hair algae on one end has been disappearing, but I've got more growing on the side closest to the lamp. So each week when I check the tank closely at cleaning time, I've been moving the light source a bit higher- and the hair algae is going away. Still some brown debris on the flat anubias leaves, but less to clean off each week. And they keep sending out new shoots constantly. I think this aquarium is almost well-balanced now. Even the kuhli Sammy is looking fatter. Though I still plan to move him into the other tank so he can have companions... I think I would be okay if this tank just housed Oliver and a few snails...

No comments: