29 January 2014

vacation plant care

I was recently gone for a week, and once again rearranged my plants for the interm. Most do fine a week without water, but the few that need constant, light watering or humidity simply got set atop one container inside another, that held water to evaporate gradually onto their leaves.
The fern of course got the biggest humitidy reservoir. It still dried up a bit.
Only my Coleus seemed to suffer, it lost a few leaves.
I used to fret more about leaving the plants, tying them into plastic bags to hold humidity in. I find setting them over a tray of water works just as well and is less trouble.
Plants that stood furthest from windows I moved into the kitchen, where they could get ambient light (as I wouldn't be home turning on lights in the rooms where they normally are).

No comments: