25 January 2012

hosta seed

Why I get so tickled about collecting seeds I have no idea.

The other day tromping through the half-muddy backyard saw this seed stalk standing where my blue Hostas are sleeping under the earth.
I pulled the flag out, brought it inside, and found some little black specks (which I assume are the seed) clinging to the opened pods. Most had already fallen out; I'm curious to see if any baby hosta will grow by themselves in that spot. I put these in an envelope in the fridge with anticipation and then went and did a little online research. Discovered to my joy that it's quite simple to grow hosta from your own seed, and lots of gardeners do this to come up with various colors and varieties. I'm not likely to get blue hosta from the seed, but I might. We'll see!
And here we have more Apple seeds. Not like I need them. Already have two apple trees on the patio in pots, that I still don't know what I'll do with when they get bigger. But these seeds, exposed when I cut into slices a nice little mini-apple from the grocery store (is it a specific variety, or just the smaller apples off the same tree that grows big ones?) looked so plump and lovely I couldn't help saving them.

No comments: