16 February 2010

cuttings

A little while back we were walking through the mall and A. noticed I kept eying certain plantings arranged throughout the common spaces. He's heard me ramble on about propagating plants from cuttings lately and said: you want a leaf, don't you? tell me which one; and he picked off a few. So now I'm going to see if I can make them grow.

Brought home at first they were just in a glass of water.


Then yesterday I finally looked up what they are. One is an Schefflera (or umbrella) plant, my mother used to have a big one in the corner of our living room. Another is some kind of Philodendron, very easy to grow from cuttings. The third I think is a variety of Aglaonema, the leaf still tightly curled. All the info I look up says the Aglaonema can be propagated from cuttings, but none say just from a leaf. However, that's all I have, so I stuck it in some damp, well-drained soil. Same with the Schefflera leaf. The Philodendron I've left in the water glass to see if roots grow first, before potting it.

The aglaonema here is next to my little geranium start.

2 comments:

mindspace said...

Hey were you able to grow schefflera this way? please let me know.. as I am eager to grow it this way if it works.. Thanks.
Tara

Jeane said...

The Schefflera cutting I made never rooted. I think it is because what I had sticking into the soil was the leaf petiole, not an actual stem piece. If I tried it again I would take a larger cutting with a number of leaves on it, strip the lower two or three leaves; roots are more likely to grow that way.