20 March 2019

spring garden

a little bit of it, anyway. It's the Equinox! I ought to be cutting green onions to make enchiladas, just because I can- a few at least- but it's not the kids' favorite so instead I'm thinking of doing a small new garden salad straight out of the coldframe. Well, here's the green onions in the still-scruffy garden:
Nearby, the rue plant looks rather disheveled coming out of winter, but it has lots of fresh new foliage at the base and I can see more sprouting along the stems. I don't know if it's a plant I should cut down in spring to encourage more new growth?
Happily, the two small ones inside are doing better- I am letting them take sun on the deck a few hours per day- but reluctant to yet put them out in the coldhouse because I found a few more cottony bugs- swiped them all off with toothpicks dipped in rubbing alcohol again.
Here's an odd thing- my sage in the garden looks dead. Just sticks. I thought at first I had cut it back too far in the fall. Then I was reading stuff about rue and happened to find that some people think rue inhibits the growth of sage. Well:
Here's the smaller, untrimmed sage that I put around my tree where the japanese salvia and dusty miller grow. It got no special attention or compost feedings, but has spring green leaves anyhow. So I'm thinking of moving rue into its own spot front corner of the garden and transplanting these sage into the garden if the older one doesn't revive.
I uncovered the lemon balm. Looks full of life!
Cut second-year parsley growth to the ground for a soup last week- it's already green again.
Rhubarb in the back bed is emerging- but I am disappointed. The shoots don't look nearly as fat as I recall from the one I grew in my first garden years ago. Wondering if I should move this one yet again, to a sunnier location. I was really looking forward to eating some this year, though.

No comments: