23 March 2019

goners

My angelfish fry all died. The parents' behavior told me right away. I did a large water change, matched the temp, added the water slowly. Thought it would be better to use pipette to get some mulm from the tank floor, around the wood pieces. I siphoned out the first few buckets of water with my hose like normal, then used the acrylic pipette to spot clean some areas that had mulm. I thought I was keeping well away from the baby fish, but when I was all done and the tank refilled, the parents were looking, and then sitting around as if they didn't know what to do with themselves. I only saw three fry then. Later in the evening, couldn't find any, and the adults came right up to look at me when I was near the tank, they're not hanging in the back busy herding baby fish anymore. I found one lying still on the filter, siphoned it out of the tank w/pipette. It barely moved. I think they starved. Its belly looked empty, if I can tell. I fed it to a paradise fish.

Well, now I know if I want to raise some of them, have to get the live foods for the babies. And figure a way to get the food to them, if I'm not going to take them out of the tank. Maybe turn off the filters when I put in the food. I think they just couldn't find enough to eat, in that big of space.

Other kind of note: my baby plants for the garden are looking great! I am worn out from hauling around and painting my bricks, but almost ready to refit my garden walls. Can't wait to plant. Waiting for fosythia to bloom, then the lettuces, chard, dill, parsley, leeks etc will go in. Still no lovage, or milkweed but the black cumin herb sprouted today.

No comments: