18 March 2019

coleus report

Looks like this year I will have an abundance of the purple-veined 'gay delight' coleus, and fewer of the red-centered lime one. Most of those I had on the window tank didn't recover from whatever ailed them, turned crispy and pale in jars and I threw them out. I still have a few
you can see how much bolder in color, the one that stayed as windowsill cutting all cold season
All the winter cuttings have grown nice roots-
so yesterday I potted them all up
Here's one 'gay delight' in its new pot, next to two much smaller, pale orange/lime ones (off the window tank) sharing a pot
Then I took a second set of cuttings from all my potted coleus. This 'exhibition limelight' lost its head
to make three jars of cuttings- there will be more of it in the perennial bed this year!
I'm not quite as fond of the 'wizard jade' but I took a cutting of that, too
Some of my pots are in a floor spot shaded by the big schefflera- the 'gay delight' here has very narrow purple veins
the orange/lime one is paler than its windowsill conspecific- so I know more sun makes them brighter
'watermelon' also changed its hues- the new leaves are from shade
Trimmed my 'kiwi ferns' in the kitchen window-
put secondary cuttings of those in jars, so I'll have two pots of them this summer!
and just because, here's a bit of the glorious schefflera that shades all my coleus in the dining room window:

No comments: