27 October 2018

transplants and plans

I dug two volunteer viburnum out of my back garden, and planted them in the naked side yard (downhill from the nandina).
They were right next to this patch of 'scat plant' I've stuck in the ground as cuttings. Surprised me how well they did. My leaf pile has shifted, since I emptied it out mulching the garden further. I moved the fencing to this blank area of the back perennial bed, figure it will feed the soil well for whatever I decide to plant there next year. Already filling up from raking the yard, it kind of makes a wall behind everything now.
The potted 'scat plant' I upended and planted on one edge of the herb bed- with two small cuttings on either side. I am still not sure how well it will survive winter, but already learned I can't stand the odor if it's in the house. So it has to live outside anyway.
On the other side of the herb bed is the rue. It's grown amazingly, around three feet high now. For all the heucherella and hosta get munched in other parts of my yard, nothing nibbles near the vegetable garden (except the bugs) so I am pretty darn sure this plant -and/or the 'scat plant'- is keeping the culprits away. (Squirrel doesn't seem to care, still digs everywhere, gah).
So- in spring I plant to buy more of this! or take cuttings and start more. I want to plant it in my front yard, on either side of the back perennial bed, next to my hydrangeas (something has been nipping the ends of stems off), in the side yard where the gladiolas grow and the naked side yard where I think the deer pass through. Maybe deer hate rue.

No comments: