08 June 2018

progress in the garden

I'll start with my favorites: nasturtiums. They are kinda scraggly this year but I am enjoying the flowers regardless. I like how the brightest red ones look dusky pink when they begin to fade.
About three-fourths of the nicotiana seedlings have survived their intentional neglect:
I've got the best-looking cucumber plants I ever grew. Let's see if they make nice cukes!
My tomato plants are large and healthy-looking- but either the flowers are dropping off, or something is biting them? I am getting flowers but none seem to be forming fruit. I suspect a hornworm or a rabbit, not sure.
Nearby my tithonia are gradually taking on size- but one of them was bitten off and discarded- I think it's the rabbit. I guess it is biting things and tasting them- happened to my young euonymus too.
My green beans are doing well so far. I moved half of the summer savory out of the planter box into the ground around them- it's supposed to repel insects that are pests to green beans. There are tiny little beans forming now and I can't wait to eat some!
Potato plants! I'm surprised they're doing so well. These four- from the russets that sprouted in my fridge- are starting to set flower
The others from the seed potatoes, are smaller and came up later.
Arugula is gone bitter, lettuce is bolting, but now I have swiss chard!
Chervil is bolting too. I hope I can save some seed to start it again in late summer.
Carrots are getting big enough to be noticed.
Cosmos flowers are fast outpacing the beets. I wish I had more beets growing. Some didn't make it? or I thinned them too well.

No comments: