24 May 2018

nasturtiums

Not from seed this year, I bought two pots of 'jewel mix' at the nursery.
I've already had to put stones in this one pot- the squirrel (or chipmunk) dug an entire plant out of it- so aggravating
Other one is situated on the stump (gracefully flanked by turtlehead and sensitive fern. I really like how this looks!) It sported the first, yellow-orange flower
Which we ate in a salad. I had never eaten nasturtium flower before, so conservatively just put one in (carefully cut into a few pieces) as I read it has a sharp, peppery taste. It wasn't very strong so next time I might use a few more. If I can keep my kids from picking all the flowers to sip the nectar first!
It went on a tossed mix of two kinds of young lettuce leaves, arugula and salad burnet. I cut a large handful of chervil to go on some fish- too much. So mixed the remainder (minced very fine) with lemon juice and olive oil as a simple dressing for the salad. It was quite good!

No comments: