24 May 2018

flowers!

These are already done- I'm so busy outside to get everything in the ground before the real heat hits, haven't had time to sit down and post much. My lilac was beautiful this spring! I had to stop by it frequently just to inhale the lovely, nostalgic scent. Then a rainstorm beat all the blossoms to bits (same to the peony, whose flower heads I just cut off)
Next to it, the black-and-blue salvia is starting to open its flowers. Like dark glowing flags. So delicate, and subtle. The plant has recovered from its move, but the new foliage is all brighter green than when I first brought it home.
Citrus geranium on the front porch- also has very subtle flowers- they are very small.
My clematis- wow this was gorgeous while it lasted.
The blooming period seemed so short- or perhaps the petals got beaten off by the rain as well.
Now it is just a nice climbing vine but I'm excited to see what a show it puts on next spring!


In the garden space, my green onions have poufy flower heads.
quite a few have fallen over and hit the ground. I learned this is actually a biannual plant, so I assume those heads might re-seed and continue the patch going.

(Every time I walk through the garden I ruffle my fingers through the rue to disperse its scent- but really I think my scattering of a hot mix is more effective right now in keeping the squirrels and chipmunks out. I combine a good amount of crushed pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper- over a cup total- and scatter it through the garden - with disposable gloves on, as it irritates my skin too).

No comments: