26 October 2017

some flowers

My second-year mums are creating a patch of pretty color in the front yard, even though they are uneven and flop over. I need to learn how to pinch them, at what intervals, to get nice dense growth.
Earlier I had rubbed seed off the lower part of the one orange/pink celosia bloom- now I've cut the entire head off to get the rest of the seed out.
It is still nice color- I have the very top part in a little jar of water to look at for a while.
I've pulled up all the cosmos from the vegetable garden- they're looking really scraggly with dry stalks and only tufts of leaves here and there, not worth the payoff of a few remaining flowers. I've been scattering the seedheads in the back bed, and already a few sprouted! So maybe I can get a permanent patch established back there.
The salvia is blooming. The flowers are small, not much to notice. I think they look a little like snapdragons.

No comments: