01 October 2017

coleus, mint, salvia

Potted up my cuttings today-
Both cuttings of salvia had grown roots now. They look smaller because I pinched off the biggest leaves. I'm going to grow them in the pots for a week or two, then plant them out hopefully they will settle in and survive the winter. If I recall, the ones I transitioned like this before, did better than newly rooted cuttings I stuck straight in the ground.
The mint cuttings in jar had whitefly, and I didn't notice until some withered. I threw out the worst stems, seeing what can salvage. Soaked them in a bowl of soapy water for ten minutes and yeah, lots of tiny bugs got knocked off.
Some of the stems had tiny new leaves emerging under water in the jars, with more roots sprouting above those nascent leaves on the stem. I cut them in half above the leaves, and planted the lower halves separate:
My favorite of the coleus is this odd one with rounded leaves-
Here's some of the others lined up on windowsills.

No comments: