17 August 2017

bolbitis!

I keep picturing a thicket of bolbitis fern on the left side of my main tank, so when an ROAK came up on the planted tank forum, I got a box. It was way more generous than the bit I got from an online seller in november. Laid out in the bottom of my eight-gallon QT bin here- so you can see the size.
How lovely green
In my package there were four very nice-sized rhizomes, plus three smaller ones and a tiny baby frond growing off one of the main pieces.
I thought bolbitis fern mainly grew by extending the rhizome, but this one surprised me (just like the windelov)- the baby plant has a tiny rhizome growing off of a root hair.
The algae and necrotic tissue I had to clean off was minimal. I found only one pond snail, and while wiping leaves with my fingers, dislodged one egg mass:
For now the plants are in the QT bin with aeration- I have to figure out where I will move the crypt retrospiralis to, before I can plant them in that spot in the tank.

No comments: