22 January 2016

insulation

I've preemptively insulated my aquariums against the cold. There's six inches snow outside so far, it's still coming down. We have blizzard warnings, predicted two days straight of snowfall with over two feet, and very likely to loose power. Not wanting to panic about the fish when that happens, I've wedged thick sheets of styrofoam between the tanks and the house wall.
The towel is just there to hold it in place, gap was a bit too wide here and it wouldn't stay in place.
The tenner got this treatment too.
Not sure how much heat loss this will prevent, but it should do something. If we do loose power at least it will slow it down some, I'll have time to wrap the tanks in wool blankets and if we're out more than a day, can heat water (if worst comes to worse, I have a fireplace, a woodpile, a pot and snow to melt!)
Keep warm, fishies.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you have hand warmers you can activate them and put them in zip locks then toss them in the aquariums to keep them warm in a power outage

Jeane said...

I don't have any. My plan would be to run hot tapwater and float bottles of it, or use it for partial WC. If pipes freeze, I can heat water in the fireplace although that's a lot more difficult I'd only do it if necessary.

Unknown said...

Good luck! I hope you don't have to use it.

Jeane said...

Thanks. Hope so too. It's really piling up out there! But we are still warm so far.