30 June 2015

yard plants

My coleus has never looked so big and beautiful. It's even larger than this now- I just moved it up into a bigger pot. (Cut the flower shoot off too).
The rose out front has gotten eaten by caterpillars a lot- I picked off as many as I could (my kids like holding the "green worms") and then cut flowers to put inside for display. I wasn't expected the plant to respond like this- it grew some new foliage where I cut the stems when removing blooms.
I have a new lilac shrub! "Miss Kim" variety- I looked it up- it keeps a more compact growing habit, I think it will do well on the front side of the house (where I'm trying to eliminate a narrow strip of lawn next to the driveway). It was a wedding gift from a friend- thank you, thank you!
Newly planted, with Irwin lounging in the background. So far it's doing really well. I can't wait for the blooms next summer- the scent of lilacs is so nostalgic for me.
Of the mock strawberries I stuck in pots only one remains. Lost the one that had more standard-shaped leaves, I moved it to a different spot and then forgot to water, rain didn't reach it and it dried out. This one is still pretty though.

No comments: