05 January 2015

how my worms are doing

I seem to have finally got the right balance- the worms are consuming everything I give them at a steady rate. Since I started being picky about their food supply, I hadn't seen any mites in a while. The bin is also drier now- nice crumbly texture but I wondered if it was too dry for the worms- they didn't squirm as much, or look nice and glistening. A few times lately I sprinkled the bedding with old tank water, and put in some leftover liquids (juice from canned peaches, water from cooking veggies, etc- never much- only 1/4 cup or less each time) also making sure there's new cardboard put on top to hold the moisture in. Some worms had always been crawling up the sides but since I started adding a bit of moisture back in, they stay down in the bedding. With the added moisture mites are showing up again- so I will ease back on the liquids again. Overall I think it's going well enough.

No comments: