14 November 2014

fishie shuffle

Moved some fish today. After rearranging the crypts in the main aquarium, I set a simple fish trap in the small one. It's just a water bottle with the cap end cut off and inverted, to create a funnel. A bit of tempting food in the base- shrimp pellet- and just lay it on the substrate. I was surprised how easy it worked- I didn't want to catch Oliver, but he went in there first!
Three fishies in my hand- they seem so small, held like this.
I let Oliver go back in his home, and moved the cherry barb pair into the main tank. I was right- they are smaller still than their buddies- although the female has a very fat belly from gorging on shrimp pellet while I waited for her partner to enter the trap. Next time I'll put less bait!
It was easy to catch the platyfish and move them into the ten gallon- I didn't even have to set a trap- just lift the aquarium lid and scoop them out, they always come to the surface curious and eager for possible handouts. Oliver darted at them flaring his gills at first, then followed them closely all over the tank, now is acting more casual but I'll keep a close eye on them.
I still don't have a new home for these guys. But I wanted the barbs to all be together. It looks quite different in the little tank without the bright gold and red of the barbs. With Oliver dark as the wood and the platies a paler hue of the background, it looks like different pieces of the environment are animated and swimming around!
The fish I really wanted to catch was Sammy- so he can be with the other kuhlis- but he's still in hiding. He comes out and does the "happy kuhli dance" up and down the glass when I refresh the water and I thought I could catch him then, but I frightened him back into hiding. I'll replace the trap after dark and see if he'll enter.

No comments: