13 September 2014

small happenings

in my fish world. I am still doing daily wc on the 20 gal, keeping a close eye on the fishes. Thought I saw one cherry barb female flashing last night, but it was out of the corner of my eye. Could have been a barb darting at another, who just as quickly darted up away. I watched close for some time- no more glancing, no spots. Keeping up the treatment longer, though. Full report when all done....

In the meantime- I moved the java fern log to tether down a piece that had broken off. The day before I set it atop the log with pebbles to weigh it down, but by morning it was floating free. So I used a small rubber band this time, and attached it to an end of the driftwood that's narrower.
(first pic lights off, second with it on- still experimenting with the camera)
Pinkie hangs out in the java fern cave a lot, so of course he came over to inspect the changes once I got my hands back out of the tank.
Here you can see him darting to bite at it!
When I lifted the end of the log my two kuhlis scurried out, and they moved all around the bottom of the tank for a while, so I was able to get a good look at them. They kept trying to hide in the base of the larger crypt, under stones. So when they had moved away I lifted the largest flat stone and made a hollow under it. Not long after one of the kuhlis came back over and wedged himself under there again. This time he fit, and stayed! I even got a pic of his little face looking out:
I do want to make more hiding spots for them, and probably to move Sam in here so they are together. I think I will see them out and about more then. But waiting until things are stable in the main tank with no more ich symptoms, heat back down to normal and salt out.

No comments: