12 January 2014

worm update

So, how are the worms doing? Well, they are still alive, and none are escaping so I think I have given them the right conditions. Better yet, when I gently pull aside some bedding I see most of them have found the food source. I have noticed a few things: there is condensation on the sides of the bin. It might be too damp? I've adding dry bedding on top. There's a bit of mold on the food I added, also some fruit flies. I think this is normal, but I don't like seeing either so have to remember to bury the food deeper. I also think I might be feeding them too much- when I gently lift up some bedding to check on the worms, a faint warmth comes up. I guess this means my bin is "cooking" like a regular compost pile, but that might be too warm for the worms?

Well, here's my simple method so far. I collect the appropriate food scraps in this copper pail that sits on my countertop. (It came to me with a plant in it that would have drowned, no drainage!) I want to find a copper or brass saucer, or lid with a handle to cover it, but for now just use a plate. I lined the small pail with newspaper but discovered that it gets a bit soggy and can't lift it out without a mess falling apart. So there's a plastic lining under the newspaper, and then I can remove it easier to tip into the bin...
It takes me two or three days to fill the copper pail, thus the worms get fed a few times a week. The volume of the pail fits neatly six times in the bin, so I just bury it in a different spot each time. When I get back to the first space, I'm hoping the worms (or their friendly co-habitating little organisms) will have consumed the stuff and the space will be available for me to add more food. If not, then I'm probably feeding them too much and will be more choosy about what I collect to give them. So far this includes food items like pear cores, apple peelings, bread crusts the kids didn't eat, coffee grounds, raisins that fell on the floor etc. - but also used kleenex, paper towels from wiping up food spills, dryer lint, dead leaves and trimmings off my houseplants.

It's satisfying to not have as much stuff going into the trash bin. Also, less fills up my recycling box now too because I keep out the brown cardboard, clean paper and cardboard tubes to shred for new bedding. This goes on the top whenever I add food.
Learning process, so might change how I do things but that's it for now.

No comments: