08 January 2014

aquarium plants

My plants seem to be recovering well from all the moving around and replanting. Most of them have new foliage growing, which always thrills me. So I took more pictures. There's a new Anubias leaf (top right)
and another one unfurling. I can already see the roots reaching out and gripping the wood.
The Java Fern has new young leaves which are growing very quickly, I swear I see them double in size every other day.
There's also these fuzzy threads under some of the larger leaves. I was afraid at first of hair algae- but now I think it's rootlets and a new baby plant forming (you have to look real close)
My Amazon Swords look nice but kind of pale- I think they need a bit of extra food in the form of root tabs, plan to get some soon. One looks good, the other has some brown decaying tips.
The Watersprite has lots of tiny new ferny foliage growing piggyback on upper stems, as well as more new growth unfurling at the base of plants. But it's so small I can't manage to get a good picture of that.

I just bought these special long-handled scissors made for trimming aquarium plants, am going to clean up some of the dead foliage today. They have to be stainless steel and only used in the aquarium, to be safe for the fish.

No comments: