20 January 2012

orange seed!

Last night I started some Orange seed. Yes, from this orange I picked them out of more than a year ago. Been sitting in the fridge all this time. I found a video on youtube (there are a lot) that shows how to grow them and realized what I did wrong last time. You have to soak the seeds first, at least eight hours, and then peel off the white outer husk. Let me tell you, this is a very annoying task. The seeds are so small and slippery (even though I tried to pat them dry) it was quite difficult to get a grip on them and peel the husks off. I think I damaged a few seeds. But have enough good ones; five from a navel orange and about a dozen from a smaller orange (clementine or satsuma? I can't recall). Anyhow, if I get a nice little orange tree I don't think I'll bother to ever try growing these again.
After peeling off the husks you fold damp paper towel over the seeds, then place in a plastic baggie (not sealed) and put in a warm place. So they've gone on top of my fridge. In about a week, hopefully some little roots will sprout!

1 comment:

chrisa511 said...

Awesome :D I really want to get a satsuma tree and plan on it once I get my own place! I bought one once but it turned out to be diseased and I returned it :( Hope you have good luck with this one :D