29 January 2012

new packaging

I discovered (thanks to Chris again) how easy it is to find seed-packet templates online, and decided to make nicer packets to hold my saved seed. I've been keeping them just in folded bits of scrap paper, seamed with tape. They're not very nice-looking, and some tiny seeds always end up stuck on the tape, and I have to cut them open...

Well, I found this template at Content in a Cottage. I really like her design, but I wanted more space for a picture, and less lines for writing on, so I altered it a little bit (I hope she doesn't mind!) I wanted the packets to be tougher than regular copy paper (because they get jammed into my very full seed jars) but didn't have any cardstock in the house, so I just cut up a few manila file folders and ran them through the printer.
Then it's easy- you cut them out, fold the little flaps, glue it together. I found that enlargening the template by 115% makes it just a bit bigger, to use for the larger seeds like green beans. I decorated mine by cutting out pictures from old seed catalogs. The only one I couldn't find a photo of was Cilantro, so I drew a quick little picture of the herb on that one.
It felt nice to repackage all my seeds. My husband saw my work and said "are you going to sell those, or just swap them?" ha ha. Nope, just keeping. I just like them to look pretty and hold together better. It was fun to do, too. Also nice to sort through my seeds again. I was surprised- I have far more saved seed than I'd thought (about twice what's pictured here). And maybe this is silly, but I love the sound of the seeds- I just sat shaking packets after they were all done and sealed up, before storing them away in the back of the fridge again. It was so lovely.

(Next time I make more packets, I'll use a paper in between. Regular copy paper is too light, but cardstock is too heavy- it makes the packets quite thick and they didn't fit easily back in my jars. Something in between, the weight of construction paper, would be best I think.)

4 comments:

MOM said...

I think construction paper would be too soft. I would think you could find something between copy paper and card stock. How about manila envelopes?

Jeane said...

That might work better. Thanks, Mom.

chrisa511 said...

They look FANTASTIC :D :D Love them Jeane!!! And you even put pictures on them!! oh I so want to try that!!

Jeane said...

It was fun. I had all these expired seed catalogs lying around, so just cut some pictures out!