30 November 2011

special honeys II

Even though I first posted about my new foray into tasting "special" and local honeys on my book blog, I'm going to continue it here because it seems to fit more with the gardening stuff.

On our final trip to the amish farm stand a few weeks ago before they close for winter, I picked out one more jar of monofloral honey: Starthistle. It has an amber color, and a sweet taste but with a very warm, mellow, creamy flavor. I don't know how to describe it at all, but I like it very much. It's my favorite of all the honeys so far.

We also brought home from that trip a batch of mix for making fried green tomatoes and I picked all the final Tomatoes off my plants (which have since been cut down and composted). It was pretty good. I didn't eat mine with honey- it makes the baby puke- but dipped my green tomatoes in ranch dressing. A. tried honey on his and said it was delicious with the Starthistle honey. Next year's end-of-tomatoes I'll give it a try myself.

My daughter was surprised the other day when I brought out all the special honeys for her to put on biscuits. She read all the labels and said "which one is the normal honey we get?" I said clover. She said "but we don't have any! You mean we only have speical honeys right now?"

That's right. And even though I can't eat them, I dip my finger in for just a taste every now and then.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I've never even heard of putting honey on fried green tomatoes!! I'll have to try that :) I'm so with you on honey..I love it so much and I really think it's such an amazing food. I love bees so damn much! I found a really fantastic local honey here in New Orleans from a guy who raises his own bees. It's not processed and it's completely raw…I should totally send you a jar!!

Jeane said...

That would be fantastic- except I can't eat much honey until I wean the baby. It makes her tummy sick :( I haven't forgotten I promised to send you some garden seed! Will get to that soon, no fear.