06 October 2011

fall tomatoes

Sunny days after lots of rain are my favorite times to get out and weed in the garden. Even weeds with long taproots like dandelion come up relatively easy with a good, steady pull. I'm glad I have the paths so I don't get my knees muddy. But for some reason I always feel compelled to clear the paths out first- it just looks so untidy with weeds growing in the gravel.

I've been working on cleaning up my Tomato beds. After cutting out dead foliage, removing vines that trailed on the ground, rotting tomatoes and all the weeds, I was surprised how relatively healthy the remaining plants looked.
They're still producing out there, even if not ripening!
I brought some just-blushing tomatoes inside to ripen on the windowsill, and am thinking of trying a fried-green tomato recipe for some others.
I even have baby Tomato plants growing all over the place, where fallen tomatoes rotted. The seedlings will never make it to sunny days enough to fruit, and they probably crossed with each other so it wouldn't be the best fruit anyhow. But it's pretty amazing to see how many seedlings spring up from one little decayed cherry tomato!

No comments: