14 July 2011

random plants

Most of the Daylilies are done flowering now, just bare stalks drying out. One late flower I discovered today. It's not the usual bold orange color, but a paler yellow.
You can see how pathetic my bed alongside the driveway is, now that I've cleared all the weeds out. I had hoped to fill it with Marigolds, pink Cosmos and bright red Tithonias, but half the plants died or were overwhelmed by the weeds, and what I have left doesn't even begin to fill the space.
This one plant I didn't pull out, because I liked the way it looks. Does anyone know what it is?
The flowers grow on a horizontal stem. I think it's pretty and curious, but afraid I'm harboring another weed...

1 comment:

Jeane said...

Found the identity thanks to another garden blogger: it's pokeweed. Toxic to humans unless thrice-cooked, eaten by birds.