28 July 2011

Mantis and other critters

I have been happy to see preying Mantis in the garden, again. I always find them in the shabby patch alongside the driveway and if I can, catch a few to move into the vegetable garden where hopefully they'll eat the unwanted bugs. The other day this one crawled across part of the car as we were driving away!
I've also seen lots of butterflies, but not got any pictures. And twice I've seen the hummingbird visit again! Such a little flash of beauty. I wish I could get a photo to show you. It has a green irridescent throat.

My cat has been catching another type of rodent.
It doesn't look like the voles I usually find on the doorstep- quite a bit bigger, and definitely not a fieldmouse. It has a large, blunt head. What is it?
And finally, last week we found another turtle just like this one walking across the patio. It was a lot smaller than the first one. The cat was curious and patting it with her paws.

No comments: