19 January 2011

thyme trim

My pots of Thyme in the windowsill are getting scraggly and out-of-control. I don't eat a ton of it either, so it doesn't need to be so prolific! A few days ago I repotted them all into slightly smaller pots (there was plenty of empty soil space, not at all root-bound) and then trimmed quite a bit of foliage off.

Here's two pots before

and after their trim.

These other two I had the idea to make them look tree-like

so I started off by cutting away the lower sprigs.

Now there's quite a bit more space on the windowsill (which my cats will appreciate), the pots look tidier and I have a ton of Thyme cuttings to use in cooking right away!

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

These are so beautiful! They're like little thyme bonsai :) Totally want some of my own now!

Jeane said...

I'm very pleased with it, but afraid to trim more and not get the look I want. So I think I'll let it grow more first... And the best thing is, every time I trim the plant, there's some herbs to eat!