08 October 2010

in the ground

The little plants in my coldframe were starting to look crowded, so I finally put them all in the ground. They'd been kind of neglected; I lost three Lettuces to slugs and pill bugs (which were crowded all around the bottom of the cardpots; I squished many) and the Broccolis and Cauliflors all have holes eaten in them from teensy caterpillars which I think I finally found and squashed them all too.
The Lettuces look a lot smaller set out in their plot. I only filled one garden space with them this time; as we never eat them all when I fill two. The left side is Simpson lettuce, and the right side Romaine. These were grown from leftover seed that I bought at the store two years ago; not my saved seed this time.
The Broccolis all got plastic-bottle cloches over them to keep slugs off while they recover from the onslaught of caterpillars (I do hope I got them all and haven't trapped any in there!)
And here's one of the little Cauliflowers. At least I think it is. When they're this young I have trouble telling broccoli and cauliflower apart. But I did plant all of one kind in square pots, and all of the other in round, so I knew they're all each with their own kind at least. When they get a bit larger I'll be able to tell them apart!
My mature Broccolis in the garden are still giving me some small heads, but it almost feels like too much trouble to cut them all and clean off the bugs...

No comments: