28 June 2010

seeds

I really want more flowers outside, so even though it's late in the season I planted more trays of Marigolds and Cosmos. I also figured I should start the fall Broccoli and Cauliflower now, as it should go outside end of august, and the ones I did for spring grew in pots two months before going in the ground.
So today was a sowing day. I also sorted my seed packets, into ones that will wait for next summer, ones that I'll plant for fall a little later or directly in the ground, and the ones I'm starting now.
 I keep seeds in recycled glass jars with lids, the packets taped shut, and a bit of dry (clean!) kitty litter on the bottom to absorb moisture. For my own seed I just fold a piece of clean white paper into a small envelope, label it, fold and tape it shut. It seems to work pretty well- most of my seeds have germinated, both those I saved off my own plants and those leftover from last year's bought packets. This year I only had to buy new a third of the seed I used. So I didn't spend nearly as much money on seed, but what I did spend more on was potting soil! I started a lot more stuff indoors this year, and I think it helped- I got better plants, some of which I wasn't able to grow at all before (like the corn). But cost of soil was more. I should buy in bulk next time, ha.

No comments: