27 February 2010

onion greens

Well, I think I figured out what's wrong with those onions planted for greens. It's not a disease, it's lack of water. I had been letting the soil dry out between watering but now that I soak them every day, one is starting to recover a bit and lift its leaves. The smallest one, still in a jar of water, is doing best of all. It never even wilted. I think if I do this with an onion or garlic again, just going to keep it in a water jar.
the largest one is nearly dead

the medium one is getting better
the smallest one never suffered at all

4 comments:

MOM said...

If you are worried about disease in your soil, did you know you can sterilize it (the soil) in your oven?

Jeane said...

No, I never thought of that! What temperature do you cook it at, and does it smell bad?

MOM said...

Lots of sites on the internet.

Jeane said...

Thanks, I'll take a look!